Reducing the severity of losses in down markets and decreasing the length of time to full recovery is the philosophy behind the Focused CORE.
Effectively managing risk during difficult economic times and not chasing returns during good economic times is the key to exceptional long-term returns. Due to the emotions, however, this can be very hard to do. Our Focused CORE strategy allows us to take the emotions out of investing. Our strategy breaks down as follows:
- Focused Diversification. Less is more. We look for managers who focus on several dozen high-quality securities rather than hundreds or thousands. Quality rather than quantity.
- Cash. Managers have a tendency to maintain higher levels of liquidity, which can help protect the portfolio in falling markets and can provide fuel to purchase securities at opportunistic prices.
- Ownership. We look for managers who have a considerable amount of their own money invested in the products that they manage for our clients. In some cases, they own the investment company itself. We want managers who are focused on clients and not indexes.
- Risk. We like investments that have lower capture ratios. That is, they have a tendency to protect more in down markets rather than squeezing the last penny out of a rising one.
- Ease of operation. We look for management companies who are easy to work with and can accommodate our practice and clients with reasonable minimum investment levels, low fees, and excellent service.
The majority of our clients’ assets are invested into our investment advisory services, which are offered through a managed account. We develop and manage your portfolio, putting this philosophy to work, rebalance regularly, and meet as often as you like. You also have 24/7 online access to your account.
There are no commissions involved in this account. Instead, a yearly fee is based upon your invested assets.
Diversification does not assure a profit or protect against loss in declining markets, and no program or strategy can guarantee that any objective or goal will be achieved.